NRN-LCEE Returning Fellowships
The NRN-LCEE wishes to fund individual Returning Fellowships of £20,000 each for researchers in Wales, returning after a minimum of 6 months away from their work for reasons of maternity/ paternity/ adoption/ health/ caring. These Fellowships can be requested by individuals employed by a Welsh HEI, the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology at Bangor or the British Geological Survey in Wales who have returned (or will return) between 1 June 2014 and 31 December 2016. These Fellowships are available for a maximum of two years between 1 April 2016 and 30 June 2018.
Purpose of funding
Funding can be used for the following purposes:
- Replacement for teaching and/or administrative duties. This can include recruitment costs of up to £2,000 and salary costs for replacements.
- Travel & subsistence costs to establish new collaborations for research. These must be genuine new collaborations and not simply extensions of already existing research partnerships. The novelty of the collaborations must be explained in the application.
- Travel & subsistence costs, and registration fees, to attend a maximum of two research conferences. The Fellow must be the first author and presenting their own research. N.B. This funding cannot be used for any salary of the Returning Fellow, institutional overheads, equipment or consumables.
- A minimum of 1 research bid to RCUK or EU funding sources of at least £250,000 before 30 June 2018 (attributable to this NRN-LCEE funding).
- A minimum of 1 peer reviewed publication before 30 June 2018 (attributable to this NRN-LCEE funding).
- Applicants should have a contract of employment at a Welsh HEI, CEH Bangor or BGS Wales that extends beyond 30 June 2018.
- Applicants must have been absent from work for at least 12 months due to maternity/ paternity/ adoption/ health/ caring, and return, or have returned to (full or part time) work between 1 June 2014 and 31 December 2016.
- Applicants should be a Lecturer, Senior Lecturer or Reader (or equivalent grades). Professors (or equivalent) are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must have a proven internationally excellent track record of publication prior to them taking the extended leave from their position. Evidence of previous grant capture would be beneficial.
- Applicants must be active/ propose to be active in research areas that fit within the remit of the NRN-LCEE themes (sustainable intensification; low carbon energy pathways; the bio-economy; impacts and mitigation of climate change and human activities. More detail on: nrn-lcee.ac.uk/themes).
N.B. NRN-LCEE Fellows and PIs/Co-Is on funded NRN-LCEE Clusters are not eligible for these Fellowships.
Applications should be submitted as a single PDF including the following five sections:
- Case for support:
- A brief summary of the proposed Fellowship for non-specialist (max. 100 words)
- Science plan (max. 500 words)
- Justification of how the planned work is a new initiative and not simply a continuation of existing activities (max. 500 words)
- Work plan, including Gantt chart and timetable of activities (max. 500 words)
- Justification of the resources applied for (max. 500 words)
- CV and publication list (including details of previous awards for research funding)
- Letter of Support from the Dean (or equivalent) of the host institution.
If applicable, this should confirm that replacement teaching/admin duties will be supported by the institution.
- Statement from the host institution’s HR department that the applicant: i) Is a Lecturer, Senior Lecturer or Reader (or equivalent where appropriate) with a contract of employment that extends beyond 30 June 2018. ii) Has returned, or will return, from a period of at least 12 months of maternity/ paternity/ adoption leave/ long-term sickness/ caring in the period 1 June 2014 to 31 December 2016.
- 2 Letters of support from 2 Professors (or equivalent) from institutions that are not host to the potential Fellow.
The deadline for submissions is Wednesday 17 December.
Applications must be submitted as a single PDF by email to: email@example.com, with the subject heading “Returning Fellowships Application”.
Only applications that meet all the eligibility criteria will be considered.
Any inquiries about the scheme should be made to the NRN-LCEE Project manager at: firstname.lastname@example.org