We are looking for a highly motivated individual with a strong interest in and experience of life-science data resources to join the ELIXIR hub as scientific coordinator for the ELIXIR Data Platform.
The ELIXIR Data Platform brings together the life science data resources from ELIXIR’s national nodes and drives their integration and sustainability. This includes developing formalised criteria and indicators for Core Data resources, promoting excellence in resource development and increasing the sustainability of resources through literature-data integration and resource cross-linking.
As coordinator you would work closely with and support our international scientific leadership team for the Data Platform. Your main task will be to provide day-to-day management and coordination. You will support our long-term planning and drive the development and implementation of a project portfolio to support ELIXIR Data’s Resources.
You will work with the scientists and technical experts at our 140 partner institutes across ELIXIR Nodes to ensure interoperable and long-term development of ELIXIR’s Data resources. You will oversee our technical planning, implementation, document progress and impact assessment by establishing and monitoring performance, quality and impact indicators.
- Project-manage the development and implementation of a portfolio of ELIXIR Commissioned Services for the Data Platform;
- Support the scientific leadership team for the Data Platform with coordination, documentation and reporting on progress, delivery and risks for the ELIXIR Data platform portfolio of technical integration projects;
- Manage communication and facilitate the development and coordination of data services within the Data platform portfolio. Bring together services, developers and users to drive partnerships across ELIXIR’s member states;
- Bring together the geographically distributed project partners to agree and implement shared technical strategies and standards, as required;
- In close partnership with the scientific leadership team for the Data Platform and ELIXIR Nodes, organise communication, outreach and facilitate collaboration with the other ELIXIR platforms;
- As appropriate organise and lead workgroups to develop ELIXIR wide strategies and policies. Manage and maintain a structured discussion with relevant project partners and user communities.
ELIXIR is a unique undertaking that consolidates Europe’s bioinformatics resources, services, and national centres into a single, coherent infrastructure. ELIXIR ensures interoperable tools and the long-term sustainability and reuse of life-science data by providing common services based on strong standards. As a distributed research infrastructure, ELIXIR is built upon the bioinformatics services provided by the national ELIXIR Nodes in our 17 member states. The ELIXIR Hub is located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK. We provide a dynamic, international working environment and have close ties with EMBL-EBI and collaborate with the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. Staff enjoy many benefits including excellent sports facilities, a free shuttle bus to Cambridge and other nearby centres, an active sports and social club, and an attractive working environment set in 55 acres of parkland.
Qualifications and Experience
Education and Certification
University degree in the field of life-science, computer science, engineering or another quantitative discipline with solid interest and experience from bioinformatics/medical informatics research environments. An advanced degree in one of these fields is a plus. Knowledge and Experience
- 5+ years experience of bioinformatics data management, curation or development, preferably in the context of service delivery in an informatics-intensive life-science environment;.
- Ability to lead and motivate technical teams in a distributed and matrix-managed environments environment to deliver against challenging goals and timelines. Experience of developing project technical specifications and performance indicators based on user research.
- Strong interest in services for data and compute intensive research both from a user perspective and from an infrastructure perspective. Experience from developing standards and/or European research infrastructure projects is a strong asset.
- Results oriented with excellent interpersonal skills you set goals and prioritise tasks judiciously with a minimum of supervision;
- Strong collaborator with demonstrated track record of delivery in geographically distributed teams;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and preferably at least one other European language;
- Demonstrate a flexible approach, self-motivation and resilience;
- Ability to occasionally work outside normal office hours if required and travel to ELIXIR Nodes across Europe as required.
ELIXIR Hub staff are employed by EMBL, an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities – visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 British time on the date listed above.
Don’t forget to mention Naturejobs when applying.
Source: Nature Jobs