The Department of Chemistry at Linfield College invites applications for a full-time, tenure track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning Fall Semester 2017. The incumbent will teach courses in the areas of organic chemistry, general chemistry and other courses as departmental needs dictate. Opportunities for teaching in interdisciplinary courses and programs are available. Candidates must demonstrate interest and potential excellence in undergraduate teaching. Successful teaching experience at the college level is desirable. The incumbent will also be expected to establish a scholarly research program involving undergraduates and to participate in the full range of faculty responsibilities, including academic advising and service on committees. Start-up funds will be available to help initiate a research program. Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications will be accepted through November 30, 2016.
• Teach lecture and laboratory sections of science majors’ courses in organic chemistry, general chemistry and other courses as departmental needs dictate.
• Collaborate with other members of the Chemistry Department in the delivery of the Chemistry major.
• Collaborate with other members of the Chemistry and Biology Departments in the delivery of the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major.
• Develop opportunities for and mentor students in undergraduate research.
• Maintain research program or otherwise pursue professional achievement beyond teaching and community service in the area of bio-organic chemistry.
• Assist students as an advisor in academic and career planning.
• Perform the normal responsibilities of a faculty member at a liberal arts college, including helping with student recruitment.
• Ph.D. in Chemistry with an emphasis in Bioorganic chemistry awarded by December 2017; postdoctoral experience is desirable.
• Thorough grounding in theory and practice of organic chemistry is necessary; experience with instrumental methods or biochemistry is an asset.
• College teaching experience, including lecture and laboratory instruction beyond the teaching assistant level, is strongly preferred.
• Strong commitment to teaching at the undergraduate level.
• Demonstration of commitment to continual improvement of lecture and lab courses and participation in undergraduate research.
• Ability to relate well to colleagues, students, and staff in a small college
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications will be accepted through November 30, 2016. To apply, please complete the online application and attach the following documents:
• Curriculum vitae
• Cover letter explaining how this position would be an excellent fit for both the applicant and Linfield College.
• Samples of professional or scholarly work
• Statement of teaching philosophy
• Detailed description of research plans
• Three letters of recommendation – Please send recommendation letters to Betty Henninger, Director of Human Resources, [email protected] for attachment to your application.
We Value Diversity: Linfield College is actively engaged in promoting, advancing, and confirming our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a diverse and vibrant Linfield contributes to academic excellence and critical thinking. We welcome applicants who bring a diversity of identity, culture, experience, perspective, and thought. All candidates are encouraged to address how their professional and lived experience, scholarship, teaching, mentorship, and/or service will build on our diversity and inclusion efforts.
Don’t forget to mention Naturejobs when applying.
Apply for ‘Assistant Professor Chemistry’
Source: Nature Jobs